Thursday, April 10, 2014

XP MUST DIE THIS DAY

You know it really is a hoot to listen to all the 'technologists' bleat about the vulnerabilities that we're sure to fall heir to because we and 25% of all other computer users, continue to operate computers with Windows XP. Sure it's 12 years old but what does it tell a reasonable person when you say your 12 year old computer, running a 12 year old operating system, runs JUST FINE DAMMIT!

I'll tell you what it tells a 'technologist' and a computer/software vendor, "you screwed up and actually sold your customer a working product that didn't need you to come back in 2 years and sell them something that actually worked." You can bet the technologists and Microsoft won't make that mistake again. Look at all the crap Microsoft has spawned since 2001 that is lost to history now while XP lives on.

In regard to the alleged security problems that will bury us XP users, please. Last month we upgraded our Apple stuff for urgent security concerns having to do with SSL and this week we get the news that many of the internet's servers are vulnerable to easy exploitation of their SSL. In short, those operating the latest equipment and newest operating systems using the highest tech, are just as vulnerable to data theft and penetration as people running XP.

Dell, Microsoft, sincerely, thanks for colluding to sell me a wonderful computer and operating system that work just fine 12 years after I bought them. I can honestly say, I didn't think you had it in you.

6 comments:

Buck said...

12 years? You're the ONLY person I know who's ever made a box last that long. Srsly. I've had three desktops and two laptops over the last 12 years, just for comparison's sake. The two desktops and one laptop that failed were victims of hardware failure, specifically disk crashes. I've never had much, if any, problems with the OS.

virgil.xenophon said...

Eleven years for me on my "durabook" lap-top w. XP! I'll quit "When the last chip fries!"

NavyDavy said...

My desk top HP Compaq Presario w XP version 2002 is running great, I think. And I sure don't want to go thru the hassle of transfering over to something "better".

HMS Defiant said...

It is a Dell Inspiron of 2002 vintage. It works today as well as ever except that the battery no longer holds a charge. I leave it plugged in at home and use it in my upstairs office. Me and that computer flew to Korea and back 22 times and to Thailand, PI and Bahrain. It is pretty damned impressive. It never traveled in one of those laptop cases since it mostly went in one backpack or another.

HMS Defiant said...

Me too.

HMS Defiant said...

I booted both my Compaq Presario desktop with Windows 95 last August before I pulled the hard drive to bring it home with me and it worked as well as it ever did. I did the same thing with my slightly newer 2001 Dell desktop with the same result. I frequently compare my computers with those of my field units who would run through computers at a rate of 5 or 6 a month while deployed. Admittedly, they were in Iraq and Kuwait but still... We bought the last 40 laptops of one specific exact flavor from Ireland in order to keep our systems running while forward deployed. I definitely don't want to go through the hassle of computering. That said, it took me all of 5 minutes to double the RAM in my APPLE Macbookpro last week. Oh, that and $72 to buy the new RAM from Amazon. I never made any mods or repairs to any of my other computers.