Friday, July 12, 2013

A GREAT PLACE OF LETTERS

I've perused the news today and it is dark. Too dark. So, on that note I thought I'd throw readers in the direction of one of my favorite blogs Letters of Note. There is a column on the right side of the page that has a list of most read letters. That's a good place to start.

Here are two of my favorites:
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/02/regarding-your-stupid-complaint.html
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/09/this-sir-is-my-resignation.html

Worth pondering.

3 comments:

Buck said...

I added "Letters of Note" to my RSS reader. Thanks for that!

As for the "worth pondering" bit... the current gub'mint has a vested interest in keeping things that way.

virgil xenophon said...

Speaking of letters, Curtis, I once recommended a book entitled The World's Great Letters by M. Lincoln Schuster (1940) at Lex's place. My parents got it thru the Book of the Month Club in the 50s and the red hard-cover version (which is the one I have) is now considered a collectible and now goes for $125.00 on Amazon, but the paperback is only $9.34 It's a great read with everything from letters from Napoleon to Josephine to letters from Madame Curie, Lincoln Franklin, most of the great British poets, etc. Go get it--I'm sure a guy like you would love it..

HMS Defiant said...

I will look for the book. It will give me another one to search for and use as a convenient excuse to go to all old bookstores. I've been looking for William Slim's book for years. Now I'll have one I may find :)
I recall a phrase people sometimes use about politics--It's not supposed to be an indestruction manual.