Thursday, July 17, 2014

A SHOUT OUT FOR THE THIEF!

A very nice lady I know wrote a book that was published in 1996. Something happened yesterday that made me curious about how well that book was selling these days at Amazon. I was fascinated to watch it climb from a Best Sellers Rank of  2067th place to 117th place in Amazon Kindle sales in just 10 hours.

I decided to compare her sales ranking against somebody really rich and famous who just published her own book and is currently on tour crisscrossing the land, beating the bushes to find people to buy it, accompanied by a torrent of free, non-stop main stream media publicity.

18 year old book written by a really nice author who is currently swanning around the Greek Isles with her family:
















Latest book published by former Secretary of State and First Lady of the United States:
















I'm laughing how Megan's book is categorized at Amazon. Don't you think anything written by a Clinton would come under the categories of Royalty, Fairy Tales, Folk Tales and Myths? I certainly do! And yet, Amazon categorizes Hillary under Gender Studies, Women's Studies and Political.

I know tis but a fleeting thing, but those are good too.

Update: The Thief is now at #92 on the Kindle Best Sellers list at Amazon.

2 comments:

Buck said...

Good on Ms. Megan!

I agree with your proposed categories for Hillary's book. And apropos of nuthin', I've yet to figure how just what "Gender Studies" really means. Is there an equality of distribution of study (e.g., materials, case studies, and so on) between the TWO genders? I think not. So why is it called that?

HMS Defiant said...

It was fun. It was all the result of the book being listed on BookBub's daily email of books. I was surprised when I saw her book was second on the list offered by Bookbubs email a couple of days ago.
I didn't make up the categories. Those were from whatever tool Amazon uses. The photos were screenshots of a part of Amazons page for each book at the time.
I never really had any problem with Gender or Women's studies as an elective, but making them each a complete academic major seems to be a great waste of an opportunity.
It almost calls to mind the old joke about the man who picks up the magic lantern on the beach one day and asks, as his wish, for a bridge to Hawaii.