Thursday, August 8, 2013

KNOWING YOUR LIMITS

I have taken good care of my back all of my life. I played varsity sports in high school and serious Inter-Mural sports in college (1980 Penn State IM football champions!) I was always happy to apply science, leverage and the power of three to move objects or move them from a distance....
   I got the slab atop this off and onto the little red wagon without too much strain. This one though was about 100 pounds heavier. I could shift it and I knew I could lift it but what's the point? It was one of the near infinite things men should not lift because it will cause a rupture and besides, the little red wagon wasn't up to this kind of load.

Knowing when to walk to away is one of the most important lessons.

2 comments:

Buck said...

Knowing when to walk to away is one of the most important lessons.

I wish I had learned that as a young man. Much grief could have been avoided, both physical and psychic.

HMS Defiant said...

I didn't learn it as a young man. I think I was about 25 when it hit me that some injuries never get better and are best avoided by not being there when they're handed out.