Wednesday, January 29, 2014

THE ARTFUL DODGER

I heard this at Borders in Emeryville a few years after returning from a very small unimportant and forgotten little war. The singer died yesterday after a long life of protest and organization. I wonder though, if the guys in Italy had it so bad since at least people heard goodish things about them from time to time. The poor guys at Singapore and then the CBI had a far lonelier war a lot further from home.

Here below is an abbreviated version of the tune above.

2 comments:

Buck said...

I feel kinda bad I didn't acknowledge Seeger's passing at my place. I was never that much of a folkie, though... so there's that.

HMS Defiant said...

I was the right age for the music when I found it growing up with the 1st Infantry Division freshly back from Vietnam. I like the music.
The man was a hard-core Stalinist and would cheerfully exterminate anybody at all if he was assured he was acting in the best interest of the workers and peasants. By the looks of things, about half the current population of anywhere would do the same thing given the chance.

I don't see it so much as the banality of evil as the ruthless stupidity of mindlessly stupid people.