Wednesday, January 15, 2014

NOSE FOR GEOGRAPHY

These are really very funny. The first map is the U.S. map filled in by someone living in the UK. The second map is of Europe filled in by some otherbody living in the the US.
We weren't allowed to get away with this when I was in school. That and there was $5 from my father for the first one of us that could take one of these blank maps and sit down at the table after dinner and put the right name in the right spot. We also had to get the capitals in roughly the right spot too. He believed in making us work for his money. :)

It's funny how most all the mappers can get Texas and California. The rest are just wonderful starting with Middle Earth and No Fucking Clue. I'll have to try this with a 5th grader I know and see how she's doing at making things up these days.

There are a bunch of these at Twisted Sifter.  I ripped them off via Gunsmoke and Knitting. 

4 comments:

Buck said...

I saw this at G&K the other day. The maps are indeed funny. Your school and mine (all of 'em) were pretty much the same, Curtis. We actually learned stuff.

virgil xenophon said...

I saw another similar exercise a couple of years ago of the US only by recent American student HS grads. . FIFTY% of ALL students placed New York State west of the Mississippi with every State in the West being labeled as NY State at least once, lol. Didn't know whether to laff or cry--actually did both. We're circling the drain..

HMS Defiant said...

I'm not sure what happened. I mean we literally had to learn the stuff or else. The else was spelled out at home but there was still a lot of shame and embarrassment to be had from your peers when you failed a grade and got held back. I think we stopped doing that ages ago.

HMS Defiant said...

I sometimes caught one of the late night comedians when he went, 'walking' and he asked everyday morons who the president was and they didn't know. Or he'd ask them what continent Australia was located on and they didn't know. It's beyond sad that people are paid good money to teach this stuff and no longer seem to know how to teach.