Sunday, September 23, 2018

THE FOGGY DEW

Maggie's Farm had a go at publishing something called The Foggy, Foggy Dew on Saturday.

This is the version that I recall best. After I graduated from Penn State I was stashed there for a little while as I waited for the next surface warfare school class to convene in Newport. One of the smarter instructors suggested I seek out some others at Penn State and look into sharing a house in Newport rather than some cheap apartment or God forbid, the student bachelor officer quarters. I tracked down Captain Michael Lemieux at his little house in the woods. It was practically a log cabin and isolated. When he let me in I had to squeeze in through all the instruments and sound equipment he had in that little one room house. Needless to say, he took it all with him to Newport when we found the right house (had to have a piano he said).

He had reel to reel tapes and records out the wazoo and $10,000 worth of stereo and speakers he bought in Japan when his ship was homeported there and in the Philippines. He had everything recorded by Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers and much else besides. We happily set up our digs at 14 Annandale Road a few blocks from the famous girls school, Salve Regina, and had some memorable times and parties.



It was kind of surreal. My parents had just moved out of their house at 482 Strauble Circle, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Michigan and moved back into our family house in Annandale, VA and it turns out that the owner of the house there on Annandale Road in Newport had just moved into the house my parents vacated in Michigan. The military world is much smaller than one would ever guess from looking at just the number of people in uniform. That was driven home looking at the names of those who signed the memorial for Mike. I knew a lot of them too at different times and places.

No comments: