Friday, August 3, 2018


I used to listen to him broadcast from his secret bunker somewhere in America as I drove up and down I-5 in the wee hours. I used to commute from Encinitas to San Jose and back and I drove late late at night when all the crazy was off the freeway. Art Bell and his collection of screwballs were endlessly entertaining. I remember the 911 show. That had me laughing out loud under the starry sky as I drove with the top down. Remote viewing got a listen just for the fun of it all.

There was the night along the canal that the 5 was under heavy duty construction and for mile after mile there was a car behind me in the single open lane flashing her lights, honking her horn and being precious. The instant we reached the end of contruction and I could pull into the right lane she blazed passed me at 200 mph. I was amused to find her about a mile down the road, pulled over by the CHP.

The only time I listened to late night radio was during those drives that went on for about 9 years. He kept me awake and mostly alert way into the dark. He will be missed.


(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I used to catch the tale end of his show when I drove from Redding to Red Bluff and had to open the store.
It was definitely interesting listening, to say the least.

HMS Defiant said...

I got such a kick out of the various 'remote viewing' people he had on as guests. That and the 911 story about the man and the deer. Plus the cat lady.

Larry said...

I worked nights and listened to him through most of the `90s. I liked his show better in the early-mid `90s before it went all alien/remote viewing/backward masking/etc. all the time, but it was entertaining more often than not even then. The most surprising show I heard was shortly after he started streaming the show over the Internet. He got a call from Guam and I immediately recognized the voice. It was a buddy in the Air Force from when we were both stationed in the Philippines. He was stationed in Guam and was trying out the predecessor to Skype (the name escapes me at the moment, damn my aging brain) to make a 'free' Internet call. I shot him an email and got a response back in about 2 minutes. At the time, that was pretty amazing to me.

HMS Defiant said...

One of our squadrons was Guam based. The CO was fantastic but some of the crap one had to put up with to deal with typhoon Guarm all the times was ridiclous.

We held once a week meetings with our squadron commodores on a telephone conference call. Guam was a bit loopy but the guys in Kuwait and Iraq had issues that were surreal.

The first time I was stationed in the middle east we still knew the base as Al Juffayr. I don't think a RAN or RN sailor would have noticed any changes at the beginning. It used to be their base when it was Al Juffayr. By the last time I went it was gone entirely. It had been pentagonned. A 5th fleet staff of about 60 people had morphed into a 5th staff of about 3000.

People I don't know had issues with VADM U at sixth fleet. His sipr home page had a floating tag that was always there that simply declared that back in 1945 sixth fleet had a staff of about 200 that were dealing with 15,000 sailor type events a year (air and sea movments) and that when he got there there was a staff of about 8000 dealing with 15 events per year.

God only knows what it's like now.

Larry said...

That sounds about par for the course. I'd swear some senior officers have read Kaska and hold the Austro-Hungrarian Empire and its remnant bureaucracies as something to strive towards.