Monday, August 5, 2024

FAR FROM THE SEA

I no longer live by the sea and haven't for over many years. I wonder how the sea services are doing these days and there is nothing online that I find particularly believable on that which doesn't speak well of the world we live in today. I lost faith in all the institutions and sadly the military was the last of the ones that had retained any credibility and that's gone now too. 

I see ongoing signs that recruiting everywhere is missing a significant metric but that is all I see. Nobody ever goes so far as to wonder, what happened to all those missing young men and where did they go and what are they doing now in lieu of going to college, joining the Armed Forces and finding work in the trades? 

I see their attendance and induction numbers dwindle year after year and nobody mentions what happened to them. Back when I was in the Navy when we were suffering a manpower shortage it was no joke and shortages were acute. My first ship had just about every watch underway manned port and starboard. The only people in more than 2 watches underway were the officers. When we got the boot after almost a month in Diego Garcia we headed back to our Operating Area in the Persian Gulf at the height of the Tanker War and we were about 60% manned. Just as we reached the equator we were called back because an entire planeload of men arrived to fill all of our gapped billets.

My old mine sweeper in San Diego was down to getting underway for NAVSEA testing of sweep gear when we were at about 25% peacetime manning. I was the only qualified Engineer Officer of the Watch onboard and we were steaming nonstop for 24 hours a day for 4 days of Exercise Gallant Eagle/Gallant Knight. Who doesn't think I was sleeping on watch in Main Control? In the Persian Gulf while conducting MCM operations we had a crew in excess of 100. In peacetime our normal crew was about 45. We were still getting underway with 17.

I suspect that the Navy today is suffering from similar manpower shortages but is able to eke out ongoing operations because so many of its warships are welded to the piers and unable to get underway. Sailors are fungible and more-so when a Navy only has 5 different types of ship classes all of which are near enough to identical as to allow cross-decking sailors from broken ships to operational ships in the Pacific and Middle East. That means however that there is zero surge capability and when those ships break down or come home that there isn't a ship and crew trained and ready to take their place.

Have you noticed just how few ships we have out there operationally deployed and underway despite waging some kind of shadow war against Yemen and 'deterring' Iran? Where are the 11 Carrier Battle Groups and all the Expeditionary Strike Groups that used to be deployed all over the world?

Expeditionary Strike Group 3 in 2014

I think we can say the same sort of thing about the Army and the Air Force. We now have Pentagon spokeswogs stating that 2 bombers have been deployed to X for contingency operations. Think about it. 2 bombers flew to join a couple others ones based in Guam or Diego Garcia. We used to rotate whole divisions of Army troops (sure by the subunits but we're talking tens of thousands of soldiers and their equipment). Where are they?

I used to live and breath the air in a number of places that are almost gone now. How many deployable soldiers does the First Infantry Division actually have? How many of their battalions, brigades and Brigade Combat Teams are C1 in Readiness, Training, Personnel and Material? Ditto the 2nd, 3rd ID.

I was surprised a few months ago to read that the Coast Guard was either laying up or discarding a large number of its ships. It seems they no longer have sufficient manpower to crew those ships so they're just welding them to the piers somewhere like Coast Guard Island in Alameda or some similar port on the Atlantic seaboard.

As a reasonable confidence building measure, perhaps the Secretary of Defense could tell us how many operational aircraft carriers, attack submarines, ballistic missile submarines, cruisers and destroyers we have left now and what the plans are to restore the rest to operational condition. I don't think he knows to be honest.

The filthy dirty rotten secret of course is that the Chinese know. So do the Russians. So do the Iranians. So do the Israelis. The only people who have no clue are you and me. I don't believe an honest word has dribbled out of Lloyd Austin's mouth in the last 20 years and I don't think I believe anybody that speaks for the Department of Defense anymore. The truth is not in them. Just look at the link and see what his priorities are and ponder the realities that face this country with him more or less at the helm.

5 comments:

Mind your own business said...

This is what happens when we allow organizations to be run by "management science." Pencil pushers who have no idea how to do the jobs they "manage." Managers who bend to every prevailing social wind and theory, tossing aside centuries of traditions and experience.

Most managers I have encountered are quick to blow smoke up everyone's ass in order to make themselves look good, or at least blameless, depending on circumstances. They treat everything like they are writing their resume, polishing turds to a high sheen. They can't accept responsibility for failures, or pass it around for successes. Managers have become politicians, and most of their effort is spent burnishing their online presence and preparing for their next step up the ladder.

Rather than work hard on their core responsibilities, they will waste endless time and resources on useless minor (but high profile) projects.

The depths of my disgust and lack of respect for most people in high positions and authority is bottomless. And they expect to "lead" us and make us follow their mandates. Hah!

boron said...

right now I think I'm a little more concerned that when/if the draft is re-instituted will I, in the vanguard, be able to trust the guy with a rifle behind me.
but I understand your initial hypothesis/observation/problem:
"...what are they doing now..."
I'm afraid the answer is highly dissapointing - flipping burgers or the equivalent
in their off-time they sit in mommy's basement playing video games
very disappointed/dejected/depressed with the paths/options currently open to them
I think it's a generalized malaise created by the Half-Blood Prince and polished to excellence by the current administration.
Do I think there's an easy solution?
Yup! the French found one in the Eighteenth Century
Just begin with the Marxist teachers who force their students to write essays on "Why the United States as a capitalist has to be brought down." and the pedos who bring in drag queen storytellers from kindergarten on.
but we had to go all Euro-Global and give murderers two years (if that) in prison and glorify all the mentally ill people who, not all that long ago, would have bee placed in institutions.
you're right! It's not just a problem with the services; it begins at home and school.

HMS Defiant said...

I'm not to sure that the draft will end the way all the flibberty-gibbets think it will with all ranks in the War Machine TM filled in with blank young trigger-pulling baby killers. You see that worked in large part on shame and this generation and the one before it don't even know what shame is. "Draft me?", they say and think, "I'll show you someone you cannot push through Basic Training with a D9 bulldozer." Take me to the rifle range to "qualify"? I think that's silly." "I have to know how to swim to be in your Navy?" "I don't swim!"
The kind of DI you or I might remember from the 80s are long gone and I cannot picture the patrollers from the sandbox trying to play nambypamby touchyfeely DIs in Boot Camp today. I was still on active duty when they started with the Time Out cards. I cannot imagine how useless it is today.
I think it will take a French solution to end the madness but we're aging out of manning the barricades and most of us would feel more satisfaction pulling the lanyards on the cannons anyway. Just sayin. Maybe I'll read Jerry Pournelle's Falkenberg stories again. It's been decades.

boron said...

Jerry's (uh! Dr. Pournelle) Inferno (first book, the follow-up not so much) impressed me so much as a non-Catholic, that I just had to re-read (first studied in 1959) the original by Dante. As you get older, it weighs more upon your mind: which bolgia I'll find myself in.
I still have the original paperback Falkenbergs at home - motheaten and falling apart.
My son was essentially brought up by his mother and her mother (both born here), neither of whom understood the meaning of the word patriotism nor felt any debt to this/my country. Although I was home every night, I found myself working 18/6 just to support the family; too busy to properly instill the necessary values; by the time he hit 18, it was already way too late - can't go back.

Anonymous said...

Anybody who thinks that the US military forces can successfully fight a peer, or even near-peer, military is delusional. It would worry me if I could do anything to change that. All I can do, like you, HMS Defiant and others, is try to prepare myself, family, and home for hard times.
For once, I'm glad that I grew up a poor redneck.
--Tennessee Budd