Friday, August 21, 2020

THERE, I SAID IT

Sitting out in the sun under an umbrella at a place masking desperately I was witness to the baby effect. Toddler-in-arms at some point tossed the entire fruit cup on the ground. As they were getting up to leave the dad got down and cleaned it up. Yep, I said it, "that is so white" but you know what? I'd have done that same thing.

"They" say there is racism. "They" don't actually understand what is going on when "THEY" say that. "They" never read Kant On the Beautiful and Sublime. That's OK, most people have not read it either. Traits, national characteristics. In that essay he captured an eternal truth. It's a largely unspoken truth these days but it's as true now as it ever was.

Just sayin and yes dammit, the radio was tuned to npr after I dropped her off at the uni and drove  home.

3 comments:

Larry said...

Hmm. I haven't read that, either, but it's on my list now.

Larry said...

I must admit, Kant was damned near impenetrable when I first tried reading anything by him (decades ago). That might've been poor (old?) translation of dense German, but who knows?

HMS Defiant said...

he nailed prejudice to the wall with spikes. It really isn't about race or quality although he really painted it that way. It boils down to what you know of a class of people based on the class of people.

Knowing how to define you enemy used to be simple. German-English, enemy. With the appropriate amount of history you know where the English royal family comes from. You get to move past that early step.

If you're dead lucky, you get to move past the early steps. They are not you enemies.