Saturday, January 18, 2020

FRIENDS ROMANS AND COUNTRYMEN

I hear Stephen King. I've read some of his books and seen some of the movies made from those books. Perhaps not by choice in either event but the power of the written word is most missed when it is absent or very rare and some people like horrible movies about killer cars, killer dogs, killer homebodies, etc and one goes along out of noblesse oblige or maybe out of love but not me so much. Nonetheless, you may safely record me as a vote in favor of King in this matter.
King weighed in on the controversy on Twitter. 
"As a writer, I am allowed to nominate in just 3 categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Screenplay. For me, the diversity issue -- as it applies to individual actors and directors, anyway -- did not come up. That said... I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality. It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong," King wrote.
Those who somehow find it needful to weigh the race or background of anybody may, at best, be charitably described as racist.

No comments: