Tuesday, April 30, 2019

DON'T, JUST DON'T DON'T EVER

Back when I was 8 and 9 I used to go to bed up in the attic and I would tear off a book from the various tops of the stair libraries and read it to sleep. These were parent's books and yeah, I read way before my time. Trust me, you read Leon Uris before high school time, you know just exactly where you will come down on Israel. You might have trouble spelling it, but there was also all of my dad's college texts including the green leather bound one of greek mythology and yea, I read that and know the stories of Perseus, Theseus, et al.I was well read in what bitish higher educakation referred to as the klassics. Yep, that was all pretty much a punt to the eye for people who know spelling like I do.

Oddly enough, I don't even have to turn on spell check. My fingers know when they've gone adrift and hit the backspace key that fast.

2 comments:

scamorama said...

Same here.

At that age, I was devouring Greek and Roman mythologies and American folk stories (Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, etc).

Read "Exodus" and "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" in 6th grade.

HMS Defiant said...

Was in school paid for by America. Used to walk there in the morning, home for lunch and back. We lived a sraight shot down the road through the hippodrome in Fort Riley. In that school library of many good books they had so many that would drive modern feminists insane. They would have gone rabid if they ever found the library on Post.

There was never any rule or tool in our house to compel the reading, my parents simply left their books everywhere.....which is how, somehow, in 6th grade, ended up finding John Norman's Gor books on one of the upstair floor shelfs. I used to kid her about keeping bookshshelfs in closets.