Tuesday, July 14, 2020

THAT DOOMSDAY CLOCK?

I've been shrugging it off for decades. OTGH, this better be nonsense.

Frankly, I don't want to be here when a former naval power clashes with the Asian land power. I was never all that worried about the Russians. For all that they're 100% not like us in any way shape or form, they wouldn't and we wouldn't. I'm not so sanguine about the Chinese leaders. They kill millions without blinking and I don't think they'd hesitate to pull the nukes out of the closet. They won't even think twice.

Yeah yeah I was rereading Thucydides and Clausewitz and the hidden history of the world. Whatever war you want to name, viewed in retrospect, one could easily see as step by step, inch by inch they met on the battlefield neither side saw coming. Every single war.

On second thought, don't study history. Nobody ever learned anything from it.

3 comments:

Eccl 10:2 said...

Amen to your final sentence.

capt fast said...

Eastern history prof in 1967 brought up china's desire to bring siberia back into china as one of the long term goals espoused by the CCP. he was kicked out of the country in 1948. held a grudge for a while. they still want siberia, but quietly. chinese great at obfuscation. they get the sea snakes cleared out of the cooling water intakes of their carrier yet?

HMS Defiant said...

I remember my MPA visiting me at anchor one night up in the NAG. We were serving on different ships there that being the nature of the stupid policy but he came out of the little zodiac shaking. The zodiac was broken, no keel and so it kind of waffled its way through the water from Enhance and while waffling a sea snake drifted into the boat. It's funny if you know about sea snakes but he didn't know anything about them and freaked out.
I don't know if they have blown out their sea chests yet or not. At least their ships aren't on fire.