Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A SEAMLESS DIVISION

Last night we went to the pool as is our usual routine for Tuesdays. While I was floating around watching the news on the big TV a woman engaged me in conversation and so we talked for a few minutes. It turns out that she is a nun and just left the job as Principal of a school in a place very well known to me several states away. It took her about 2 minutes to turn the conversation to what a complete idiot President Trump is and I could only nod in agreement in a pool full of the enemy and without weapons to hand.

She found it absolutely and utterly amazing that her brother with a severe learning handicap was outraged every time it crossed his attention that Trump beat Clinton and she herself was quite outraged that her "college educated brother" was actually a fan of President Trump. What could I do? I nodded in agreement. She almost but not quite said, why do the smart ones favor Trump.

It was interesting to meet someone in Metroparkcentralis who, while from here, had been teaching in Arlington for many years about 4 blocks from my parents house. When she told me that her school was just by the metal diner I burst out laughing and said, "the diner on Lee" and she allowed as how it was so. I probably walked by that school a hundred times.

I think it's interesting, for values of interesting, that everybody I meet just assumes I voted against Trump.  On the other hand, many people today like to portray Nixon as a great villian and way too stupid to shave a narrow margin of victory like Ronald Reagan's squeeker in '84.

Yes, both of them won 49 of the 50 states in their second elections to the office of President. Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who said they voted for either of them.

2 comments:

SL said...

Reagan was my first vote in 1984. Absentee ballot from Alaska via Okinawa. Have never and will never vote for a communist(spit) spilled and lost blood fighting the bastards in my twenties, ready to do it again in my fifties.

HMS Defiant said...

I voted for Reagan in my first election in '80.