Wednesday, July 17, 2019

IDIOSYNCHRATIC

I'm quite enjoying watching Sharpe of the Rifles. I really enjoy that he has fought his way over Portugal, Spain and France without losing a single button off his hundred button uniform. I couldn't cross the street without losing a button off one of mine. I like how they keep the show in an order I can enjoy. One of the very very few instances where I read the books before seeing the film and somehow the film carries the same gravitas as the books and I like the both.

Bit of a quandary. Go out and buy all the books again or go for the DVD collection.......

9 comments:

capt fast said...

caught bits on utube and am considering the dvd set only because the eyes are not in good shape. after the master and commander books, it would make a break from the nautical themes.

SCOTTtheBADGER said...

Buy used on Amazon, and get both.

Old NFO said...

Books are good! :-)

Retired cop said...

Only issue i have is that some seasons only have one or two episodes. Watching them in order. Great series and I like Sean Bean.

HMS Defiant said...

I honestly don't know if too much is the enemy of enough. Not really interested in hours devoted to building up romantic interests in that war or any other and this is from the guy that read every thing Herman Wouk wrote.

HMS Defiant said...

I agree. I bought all of them and read them long ago in London when I should have been visiting the Imperial Museum and stuff. I fought my way into all the good places like the Tower.

HMS Defiant said...

It wasn't until last night while watching that I asked the better one, "wait. isn't he the one that dies in every film" and she said, "yep".

Bob said...

There is a fan club web site, The Sharpe Appreciation Society, it has stopped adding updates but there are pictures and a synopsis of each film. Web site: southessex.co.uk

HMS Defiant said...

Thank you.