Wednesday, January 20, 2021

MONSTER HUNTER OFF FACEBOOK

I'm glad I never invested in the facebook scam. I could see the writing on the wall a decade ago and while I created a page it was intended for one purpose and that never really happened so I would go months without looking at it or reading it. I also had some friends who I worked with for many years who were the soul of urbanity, charm and wit and yet turned into raving lunatics on facebook and went way into Trump and Bush derangement syndrome. Too many others went that way too. Here is an author who writes books I enjoy and his take now on facebook.

From what will likely be one of his last posts there:
Larry Correia

I'm paring down my FB presence. For the last week I've only been on for a brief time each day. I'll be taking that down even further. I'll be posting links when I blog for the people who stick around. There's a few groups I use here that I can't get the equivalent resource anywhere else yet (but I'm currently banned from posting in all groups anyway). And that's about it.

Basically, I'm done being a content creator for these censorious pieces of shit. Guys like me write stuff which gets shared hundreds of times and gets thousands of people commenting/participating. FB uses that free content to keep people corralled here so they can mine your data.

And then when us content creators get uppity, they fuck us over with impunity while their ideological allies get a pass. But then we come crawling back again and again, like abused trailer park wives, because we don't want to abandon the kids (as in the communities we spent the last ten years building before the relationship turned abusive).

I've stuck around because I didn't want to hurt my business/sales. This is still the best place to reach the most people the fastest. We made it that way. All us content creators foolishly moved over here back when Facebook promised to be one thing. Now that they've pulled a bait and switch, the content creators feel trapped.

In good conscience, this can't continue. I'm done helping these parasites. Facebook is trash. We all know it. We've all seen it. We're just here because of inertia.

Over the last decade, working with some stupendous moderators and great fans, we built a gigantic, thriving, fun, fan page here on Facebook. It's one of the bigger author fan pages on the internet where the author can still actually talk to his fans. Being able to interact there was great. But Facebook took that from me on a whim. They banned me from my own group because of what I MIGHT say.

However we prepared a fallback. There's another Monster Hunter Nation fan page over on MeWe. I'll be posting there instead from here on. If the fans want to keep posting here, great, but I won't be. I can't even post this to my own FB fan page, which illustrates just how screwed up this situation is.

We'll see how long that lasts, until Big Tech finds some way to squish every place they can't control.

My primary place will still be my blog, monsterhunternation dot com. There is an email newsletter there you can sign up for which is only book related stuff, no politics. I'm on MeWe under my same name. I was on Parler as @monsterhunter45, though I never really used it, and I have no idea if that place is going to survive. I'll be looking into other alternatives as well.

No comments: