Thursday, February 7, 2019

I MUST HAVE SENSED THIS FROM THE BEGINNING

Just about everybody has read the Harry Potter books except me. I bought them for my daughter and she loved them from a tender age but I never so much as tried to read any of them and I like the genre of the sort of books these purported to be but I just never got into it. I never saw the movies except I sometimes glimpsed a few minutes of them whenever I visited the Exchange at Yongsan Main Post where they were always on all the televisions for sale, year after year after year.

And now I know why.
LONDON, U.K. — In a controversial Tweet this morning, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling revealed that you, the reader, have been gay ever since the release of the best-selling children’s series.
“When writing, I always envisioned the reader as gay,” Rowling wrote. “This has been the case since the first page of Philosopher’s Stone, and as the dictator of canon, what I say is now established lore.”
It's an interesting admission for any author to make to her adoring fans over two decades after penning the first of the books read by millions. I really have no idea why she would feel the need to say it now unless she meant to be malicious.

6 comments:

tsquared said...

I read a lot. I could never get past a couple of chapter in any of my children's "Harry Potter" books.

But then again my daughter tells me I am the ultimate alpha male.

SCOTTtheBADGER said...

What a curious thing to say? Hardly the sort of thing to earn points with the reading public. The Centers For Disease Control estimate the total, for homosexual and bisexual population does not exceed 3%.

capt fast said...

as a devoted fan and devourer of science fiction escapist literature and hard science missives I have always considered fantasy writers to be much more than a bit flaky but probably beyond recovery for being a useful servant of God for the betterment of human society.
J K Rowling has probably gone round the bend after finding out what she is shelling out in taxes on the royalty checks she is still getting.

HMS Defiant said...

Yep and isn't it remarkable how everyone seems forced to kowtow to them? I honestly don't care what they do. I just wish they'd shut up about it. We're in the midst of Black History Month and I just know there's a LGWTF Pride month in our future although it seems to be an all year event on PBS and NPR.

HMS Defiant said...

She was a 20th century rags to riches story and yet extremely clever and smart and probably quite ruthless. I admire her. How many authors selling their books to Hollywood demanded and kept total control over the picture? What she wrote there is living proof that even the very smart should steer clear of twitter.

ruralcounsel said...

Wait! Is she presuming the sexual orientation of all those people she never met?