Saturday, October 19, 2024

I WONDER

 I arrived in the late afternoon on a train from Hendaye after some difficulty getting out of Spain and then into France. I threw my bag on my shoulder, checked that the money belt was secure and then took the metro up to Arc de Triomphe and got off there and popped back up at the top of the Champs Elysee. I found the Avenue Wagram, walked the two blocks to the hotel I had identified in my old copy of Europe on $10/day and got a room on the 3rd floor looking out over the Avenue and with a private bathroom with a very nice ancient tub.

I then walked down to the river and crossed and the very first thing I did was head to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It was 1984 and I had just finished my first year in the Middle East and was taking leave enroute home and a new duty station in San Diego on a Destroyer. I wonder if every American who first arrives in Paris heads to the top of the Eiffel Tower too.

Effortlessly lifted from Timewaster a full minute ago

1 comment:

Justin_O_Guy said...

If ever I found myself there, that would be The first thing for me. As I was leaving,, I'd probably have to go back up there and look around One More time..