Monday, July 29, 2024

OUR PRIVATEERS

 We spent a few minutes in Camden and this time it corresponded with when the Camden Library Historical collection was available to paw through look over. It was there I popped open a book with the help of the local historian who had in-depth knowledge of his collection. I asked if he had any of the sailor logs of the various vessels that sailed out of Camden over the centuries. Why yes, yes he did.


Inside I ran across Black Vomit, a privateer out of Salem, Massachusetts in The War of 1812. One has to wonder how she came to be awarded such an uncommon name. 


I can recommend the Camden Library to anyone possessed of an interest in American shipbuilding and history. It has the Write Stuff!

4 comments:

elysianfield said...

Any Pitchers in it?

HMS Defiant said...

Nope, narry a one.

Anonymous said...

Black vomit was a hallmark symptom of yellow fever, which was a common scourge in ye olden times. Usually spread via sailing vessels. My guess is there’s some connection there.

Anonymous said...

Old memory. I grew up in a north suburb of Minneapolis. When I was under ten years old my mom obtained my first library card in north Minneapolis at the Camden Library. Thanks for jogging my memory, hadn't thought of that in decades. If I recall there was a Ford plant nearby adjacent to the Mississippi River. I believe a company called FMC license built the 76MM gun for the FFG7 class near the Ford factory in the 80s. Haven't seen that area in so long. Always miss home, good or bad.
Jim