Sunday, March 6, 2022

ON LIFE

I was one of a thousand people who knew Lex. My friend has reminded me that it has been ten years since his untimely death. He was flying a fighter and went out as he wished, with a cockpit full of snakes and an air controller who didn't know the first thing about the speed needed to land that special brand of fighter. He went out as he meant to go, at least according to his writings. I'm willing to take him at his word.

I called him up and asked him and Mary to dinner. They said yes. I was hoping that getting them together with my sister and brother-in-law who wrote many books would convince him to write and publish. So instead of convining him they all talked about their honeymoon and adventures in France, the rats. It was a very nice night out in Del Mar and it is hard to believe it was just a little over 10 years ago.

Time has not flown. It feels like yesterday.

5 comments:

SCOTTtheBADGER said...

But the sense of loss remains. He was a good man, you have that in common with him.

OldAFSarge said...

Yesterday ...

AeroBracero said...

Man, you nailed it on the controller.

Anonymous said...

As you say, Hizzoner went the way he would have wished. I love motorcycles; I'm already crippled up from one wreck, but have no intentions of ceasing to ride. It horrifies my mother, but I can think of no finer way to go out than trying to solve a tricky curve/hill/angle problem at speed, and next thing finding myself discussing it in Heaven.
--Tennessee Budd

HMS Defiant said...

He was always a fascinating writer and gentleman. Remember his names. They were priceless.