There is a widespread, nearly universal disdain for trolls in every social media I know of and yet I was given to wonder the other day as I drove back home from near Columbus if there might be something the troll hammers don't ever seem to think about. I actually enjoy visiting a few websites where they put down the trolls in a careful humanitarian way and then banish them to Mars. The social media at twitter and facebook and perhaps the rest of the blogosphere I don't go visit, seem to view their job in hammering trolls every day, as duty. On reflection, most of the trolls, perhaps 95% are real asses who need to be shown the curb but there's the other 5%. Ever wonder about them?
When the CNO and his dream team decided to commit every resource the USN had in its surface combatant construction budget to build an utterly worthless class of ships and then screwed that up so badly they could not down-select and pick ONE as the most viable and worthwhile hull and decided they were just going to build two completely different ships and then declared them both to be the same Littoral Combat Ship, they got some criticism. To be honest, the real surface warfare officer, ship-driving, war-fighting types took one look at these two abortions and declared war on them.
They were pretty critical and they didn't hold back much in their disdain for such useless "warships" and the idiotic notion that one weak and pathetic ship could be made into 4 different ships by swapping out a module in some nearby port in under a day and return to combat as a Surface Warfare Ship, a Mine Sweeper/Hunter, an Anti-Submarine hunter killer and last and least, as a sort of super enormous MK V SEAL delivery vessel supporting irregular warfare missions. 12 years later and not one of those 'modules' exist. The missiles the ships were designed to carry were canceled and that concept scrapped many years ago. Sort of like the wonderguns of the Zumwalt Class destroyers where the Navy finally accepted the fact that the cost of each artillery shell exceeded the cost of a Tomahawk land attack missile.
The critics were all correct and respectful but what they failed to realize, all of them, was that the CNO, NAVSEA, OPNAV N85 and just about everybody else in the top echelons considered them trolls and after reaching that conclusion they simply ignored everything the critics said. After all, they were trolls.