Monday, April 11, 2022

ON CARRY

My state reps recently voted to approve Constitutional carry and it sounds a little tempting. Not too though. I carry a tool for everyday use but not a weapon. I was just reading an article by a writer who was praising his old 1911 in 9mm for the extra ammo in the magazince and wondered about such a thing. To take 10 or more shots to end a thing at a range of 7 to 10 feet seems extreme to me. I consider the skill I have with the things a knack and it is apparantly a knack others don't begin to have. It may be kinesthesia but I doubt it. Back in my 20s I would go to the range every month or so to knock out a couple of boxes of 45. I stopped when I was in my early 30s and yet whenever circumstances required a qualification fire I was an expert with whatever new gun had come down the navy/army pike. Pick it up. Aim. Fire. Hard to believe, I was OPS at Expeditionary Security Group ONE in San Diego and our Weapons officer, a very hard corps LDO LT would routinely invite me to shoot with the next lot up at Pendleton or out at Nyland and I would routinely say, no thank you. Hitting the target was never in doubt anymore and sitting through the bleacher speech of the instructors was just a bore and so not worth it. Came the day, I had to qualify on the new 9mm to carry in Korea because USFK had demanded that all of us carry and my card didn't show I was qualified with the newest navy 9mm.

It's been 20 years since I last hit the long distance ranges and the last time I fired was the Navy combat course of fire at the Ballast Point submarine base range with whatever the 9mm of the day was. It was a new COF for me with multiple draw and reholster, shoot 2 or shoot 3, reholster, draw, reload, then step into the target and fire again using the offhand. Some might say that it was a realistic course of fire for pistol range combat. I don't know about that. I used to fire for practice at the 25 yard line and putting the rounds into the black was the goal. They were all in the black. On the other hand, I still remember firing that damned 44 magnum the first time.

12 comments:

Dan said...

The purpose for Hi Cap 9mm pistols these days is simple. Two legged vermin have a bad habit of not working solo. If approached by 3 or 4 of these parasites having 15 or more rounds at the ready is a good thing.

HMS Defiant said...

I remember seeing a pack at the pharmacy I was meaning to go to and decided to keep driving through the parking lot and home. I get to define what is harm's way now and I'm not going there by choice or conviction. Let them shoot each other works for me.

oldvet1950 said...

I have mixed feelings about CC. It almost seems like a trap. A few years from now, they will release stats that show gun crimes have escalated in states with CC. They need to pass corresponding law that requires mandatory prison time if violent felon caught carrying....but they won't.

HMS Defiant said...

I don’t think so. The results are already in from some states and an armed society is a much safer and law abiding place. We will never see it in blue states with urban hellholes because it won’t fit their model for the people to be prey.

Anonymous said...

I'm somewhat like you. I can always hit with a lever-action, and generally with a .357 revolver, barring snubbies. I have a GP100 I've owned for about 30 years. I've gone several years without shooting it, but when I break it out, the muscle memory, or whatever it is, is still there. I can leave it for a long time, pick it up, and still bullseye with it. Not boasting; it's just an odd little truth.
--Tennessee Budd

HMS Defiant said...

that's what appears to work for me. I read the gun pundits who boast about spending time on the range and maybe I did that but I don't need to anymore and since I don't carry the range is going to be in the half dozen feet or so and I can't miss what I aim at at that range.

Mind your own business said...

The problem with Constitutional Carry is that often the weapon is exposed and subject to someone trying to take it away from you before you even try to access it. I suppose it doesn't have to be, because you could carry concealed too, though I think the term is more applied to Open Carry. Legally, does CC cover both Open and Concealed Carry? It's really just a question of whether a permit is required, right? Has nothing to do with accuracy. If you don't have the weapon on you, it makes no difference how skilled you are.

Concealed Carry is much better, IMHO, than Open Carry. The goblins don't know you have it until you draw it. The Walmart in my area has posted a sign that forbids Open Carry in their store. But they don't forbid Concealed Carry.

FeralFerret said...

In Missouri, Constitutional carry include concealed carry. I can't speak to other states.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've had a concealed carry permit for decades working in a retail business that attracts thieves (automobile sales). Always a good shot, in 2005 developed macular degeneration in my shooting eye. Twice a year I take my .44 Special to the range. I can still put five shots withing the torso outline at ten or so feet and that is as good as it will ever get. Nowadays, like you, I practice situational awareness. I rarely carry. Too old, slow and fat.

HMS Defiant said...

Same in Ohio. CC makes concealed carry legal without permit.

tsquared said...

I haven't looked close at GA's CC as I have had a weapons permit since the 80's. It won't change my carry habits.

I can go to the range daily and hone my skills to be a better shot. If I drop back and go to the range every 3 months like I have the past 2 years my pattern opens up a little but I can get all of my shots on a 6" pie plate at 15 yards. Right now I shoot my S&W model 65-2 more accurately than anything else I have. The Colt 1911 9mmGovernment model is a close second but if I am not carrying the 357 I am carrying a Glock 10mm.

HMS Defiant said...

All these years and I have yet to fire a single Glock. They're here but I haven't been to the range yet with them. Silly me. I kept waiting for the price of ammo to go down.