Tuesday, November 29, 2022

I WENT WALKING

 It's been awhile since I stretched my legs.  Years. Deciding to go for a walk out of deepest darkest Cleveland was a surprise tonight but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Still, I managed to stop into a hotel I'd driven by a thousand times and this time, since I was already on the sidewalk, stepped in for a cup of coffee. Having left that place I was walking by THE mosque and happened to find that timing was perfect and let me meet and shake hands with the "no, I'm not the imam."  Imam.

I was put on notice that the world works just as I imagine it. My philosophy is that one is only cold if one thinks so and noone is ever really cold if there is no breeze. There was a pretty stiff breeze. The car I stepped out of has enough cold weather gear to let me and friends survive for a couple of months north of the arctic circle or lake erie or perhaps ontario but I'm just guessing at this point.

I walked 50 fucking blocks in Cleveland starving and did not pass a single place to eat. This city sucks. I really miss Hillcrest, 70 restaurants in walking distance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to be 21 feels like 14 Saturday but I’m still deer hunting (in Ohio)

HMS Defiant said...

Ah, I was angry when I stopped the car in the middle of the street and walked away.
I kind of wonder what you're hunting, but yes, I know. I never saw the point.

I used to drive very fast during the days and then slow right down at dusk and after sunset. I could see the cops but nobody can see deer in the dark without infrared and I most sincerely did not want to hit a deer at 80mph. There was altogether too much evidence of drivers doing that on I68 and I90 and whatever is the name of the interstate highway between Philly and Valley Forge. I never saw so many pranged dear in my life.

Roy said...

No, you do NOT want to hit a deer at 80!
I hit one doing 70 on I-71 late on an August night. The damn thing - a five point buck - came out of the wooded median on the left and ran right in front of me. I didn't even have time to hit the brakes. BANG! My wife and I got to experience the joy of a total air bag deployment - all five of them. Thankfully, no one was injured, but the car was totaled. Well, no one was injured except the deer. He was also totaled.

HMS Defiant said...

Yea, those things are lethal. You find yourself driving down any Ohio county road or state road and you see them, right there, waiting to step in front of your car. At Picatinny Arsenal I used to watch herds of deer easily jump the perimeter fence. They get right over the highway fences.