So I was hugely successful getting new windows for the Study and they came in looking good and fit perfectly, if I do say so myself. It probably helps in this regard that I took out the old relics and hauled them well south of here and gave them to a solid young window carpenter who did a bang up job replacing them. It took about 5 months longer than projected but despite another winter on the North Coast it was about as warm a winter as I've passed in the Study because I also know a good deal about sealing holes in the vital infrastructure thanks to my extensive Damage Control training and experience.
With that side of the house done I turned to the front and took out those windows and hauled them down to the same carpenter with an expected delivery of November. I'm cannier than that and I have ordered a roll of Kraft paper to make a good template of the hole in my wall and then I will have a nice plastic window made with a laser cutter and stuff it in the hole. The 3 pieces of high end plastic I used last winter won't serve for this set of windows due to the need to shape them to fit and it turns out that it is true, one cannot cut quarter inch and better high end plastic with a jig saw. That's just right out.
The old windows only stayed in place because gravity did not work against them. They were so rotten they weighed damned near nothing at all and yet so securely fastened in place (ahem, DC is my game), that not even the winter gales could dislodge them and carry them off.
I figure if the carpenter and I do our usual jobs (his one of skill and craft and mine more one of Kraft paper and desperation), I can even have a very nice faux winter storm window for that part of the house in years to come.
The carpenter lives well south of here and there are any number of really superb restaurants and other eateries between here and there that it is really no hardship at all to check on his progress over the coming months. It also happens to be a very relaxing and beautiful bit of Americana to drive through.
1 comment:
Skilled workmen are awesome and rare.
That you get to add in a nice drive and good restaurants. WINNING!
What kind of ridged plastic are you using? Plexy? Polycarb?
Post a Comment