Thursday, June 12, 2014

TOMORROW'S HEADLINE TODAY

As I read about the devastating collapse of Iraq, I am plugging in my sympathy meter for the headlines we can all expect to see in the very near future:

AMERICAN "TOURISTS" KIDNAPPED WHILE HIKING NEAR MOSUL

AMERICAN BIKING AROUND THE WORLD KIDNAPPED NEAR TIKRIT

UNDERCOVER AMERICAN MISSIONARIES SEIZED IN FALLUJA

PUTIN AGREES TO OVERSEE ABANDONED AMERICAN EMBASSY IN BAGHDAD

What happens when all the sane people refugee out of en entire region of the planet? We get to find out. If I was any kind of foreigner living in Iraq, I'd already be gone.

The words of 3 Kuwait Navy officers I worked with many years ago, echo and linger. They said that they'd all been captured and thrown into a prison in northern Iraq because nobody senior ever gave them an order to fight or run away when the Iraqis invaded the Kuwait Navy Base. They were all extremely bitter about that and said they'd learned their lesson. "Next time, I'm not waiting! I have a car already packed, fueled and pointed south. Next time, I take my family and drive to Saudi Arabia the instant I hear of an invasion." All were emphatically nodding their heads.

We know one thing that isn't going to happen though. America is not going to intervene in Iraq for at least the next 3 years even if they use weapons of mass destruction on each other every single day between now and February 2017. Americans are sick of Iraq.

Sadly we know who is going to suffer the most in the days ahead. All those Iraqis who worked with us. Those who assisted, supported, and collected paychecks from us. You just know that somehow, unaccountably, the names and addresses of every single one of them is going to be left behind to fall into the hands of monsters who kill babies and children in the name of allah. The victims won't just be the ones that actually worked with us. We are talking about terrorists.

I think they all know it. I think they have cars fueled, packed, and pointed away and have already hit the road on their way to anyplace else on earth.

No comments: