Friday, January 24, 2014

NO HAPPY COWS


I just ran across this today. Drat.

I didn't hold on like grim death to XP Pro because I hated everything that came after it, I hung on to it because it worked so damned well.

Where I worked for so many years above rocket scientists, mostly Lockheed, I listened to all the engineers and scientists whine about the dismal lack of performance and stability that came with Vista and 7 and 8. I was delighted to plug along on my crisp clean sailing machines of computers running XP that never collapsed under the strain of innovation. Admittedly, our needs were small and we weren't trying to set speed or load records. What we had worked well enough. Still does.

Plus I also had OSX running on a MacBookPro so there was that.

But the cruelest cut from Microsoft today was:

3 comments:

Buck said...

I've found Win7 to be pretty reliable. Which is a good thing, seein' as how I don't have the skills to troubleshoot the system should something go wrong.

virgil xenophon said...

I'm still clinging to XP on my old Durabook. My wife has a 17" Gateway laptop with Windows 8.1 which seems to work fairly decently. The upgrade from 8.0 (her orig sys) to 8.1 made a BIG diff.....thank God!

HMS Defiant said...

When I got back tonight I ran the Windows adviser on the old beast (8 year old Dell) and was informed that it was doable but I'd need to go out and purchase new MS Office and update 42 other drivers and programs, mostly free. So, I now know that Windows 8.1 will work on the hardware. I'm just not sure I'm ready for it. I may have to apply some volts to my car battery and drive over to the PC shoppe run by MicroSoft at the local book free mall and check it out.
Or I may not since I don't really think it could stand being $*graded and flung against the wall too many more times. It works very well indeed on XP and that's enough for me.